When you are a Window 10 user, seeing the activate windows 10 watermark in your desktop is such a common thing. It pops up on the bottom right corner of your screen device. For once or twice, it doesn’t even seem like a problem at all. But then it appears at your Windows desktop all the time and since then, it can be a minor annoyance. Sometimes, it can cover your scroll bar. So, instead of scrolling down, you accidentally clicked on the watermark. Fortunately, there are some methods on how to remove activate Windows 10 watermark.
What Actually Is The Windows Activation?
Before we proceed on how to remove activate Windows 10 watermark, it’s necessary to understand what is Windows activation, and how it works. So, Windows activation is an essential part of Windows Product Activation. Its function is to make a link or connection between copy Windows with legal license and a computer system.
As we know, since the Windows XP era, the further versions of Windows require a legal license to be activated. In this case, as one of the latest versions of Windows, Windows 10 needs a legal license to activate it. Moreover, this goal of this link is to enforce the Microsoft Software Licence Terms. It’s to prevent that no more than one device system use the same copy of Windows license.
So, there can never be two devices use one hardware license. If you still try to install the same license of Windows on two different devices, it won’t work. Also, you will see the activate watermark pops out on your screen device. Besides, sometimes you only prefer to know how to remove activate Windows 10 watermark instead.
Reasons Why The Activate Windows 10 Watermark Pops Up On Your Computer
There are several common reasons that can cause the activate Windows 10 watermark pops up on your device. Before you rush into how to remove activate Windows 10 watermark topic, it’s important to know what causes it. One of them—has slightly mentioned above, is that your Windows legal license is installed on two different systems. However, sometimes it can also appear even if you’ve already activated your Windows properly and genuinely with a legal license.
This cause then can lead to another one, that is because your Windows license has already expired. Or another cause is that your activation license is not genuinely from Windows. Also, the activation issue can occur when you just have made major changes to your hardware. For example, you just replace your motherboard, hard drive, or your processor. In this case, Windows 10 license doesn’t seem to recognize our device.
Here Are Some Ways How to Remove Activate Windows 10 Watermark
There are some methods to try if you’re looking for solutions on how to remove activate Windows 10 watermark. Including those free methods and payment-required methods. In this article, we’re gonna discuss all methods you could possibly try based on your preference—mostly budget and patience.
1. Purchase An Official Windows Digital License for Windows 10
This method is the safest, most proper, and original way on how to remove activate Windows 10 watermark. Actually, this is the first choice you should do when you want to get rid of the watermark. Now, you can easily purchase an original license through digital purchase. Even if it requires payment, but it’s worth it since you have a lifetime license. All you need to do are:
- Go to Microsoft Store on your device. Then, purchase an original license to activate your device. The license for Windows 10 Home version will cost approximately 120 USD. Meanwhile, the Windows 10 Pro will cost about 200 USD.
- Choose your Windows 10 versions, then select a payment method.
- After you finished the payment, you’ll automatically set once your device is connected to the internet.
- Now, log in to Microsoft account and you will see there’s no more of activating Windows 10 watermark on your screen.
2. Purchase The Serial or Product Key for Windows 10
For another proper way on how to remove activate Windows 10 watermark, you can also use this method. If you like a more conventional way, you can purchase the license on Microsoft authorized physical or online stores. Remember, only the Microsoft Online Store and Amazon.com are the authorized online stores.
As mentioned before, if the serial key expired, then you are likely using an unofficial license of Windows 10. So, you need to get a genuine or an official one. Once you’ve bought a product key, there will be 25-character code. Furthermore, follow these steps:
- After you got the physical package, there will be the 25-character code. Then, select the “Start” button, then go to “Settings” (the one with the gear icon).
- Next, select “Update & Security”. Thus, click on “Activation” and select “Update product key”.
- After that, click on “Change product key”.
- Done. Now you have your Windows activated. Also, you’ll see your screen device with no more watermark.
3. Run the Activation Troubleshooter
If you are already using the original or genuine license of Windows 10, then there must be another problem. You can try to run the Activation Troubleshooter to know what is the problem with the activation issue. Once the activating issue solved, then the watermark removed. So, this is another way on how to remove activate Windows 10 watermark. This method will make re-link on your Microsoft account. To do so, you need to follow these steps:
- Go to your “Settings”, then select “Update & Security”
- Next, click on the “Activation”, and look for “Troubleshoot” button, and click.
- Let the troubleshooter runs. It’s checking your problem with the activating issue.
- After the trouble found and fixed, you can log into your Microsoft account.
- Now see if the watermark is no longer on your screen device.
4. Remove Your Windows 10 Watermark with Registry Editor (Regedit)
Another method on how to remove activate Windows 10 watermark is with regedit. Furthermore, Regedit itself is the short version for Registry Editor. Thus, regedit is a graphical tool that allows the user to see the Windows registry and make some changes. This method is probably more simple than all the methods I’ve mentioned before. Since it’s only for removing the watermark without activating the Windows 10. With regedit, you can clear the watermark simply. To do so, you need to:
- Press the Windows (like a flag icon) + R on your keyboard. Then, “Run” dialog box will pop up.
- Next, type “regedit” and press enter. This will take you on a new window. Now, if you see HKEY_CURRENT_USER, expand it.
- Thus, you can double-click on “PaintDesktopVersion”.
- After that, change “1” to “0” then “OK”. Furthermore, close regedit. Then restart your device to start the reboot.
- After your device is back on, the activation Windows 10 watermark on your screen device already removed.
5. Remove your Activate Windows 10 Watermark with Notepad
Notepad app can also be an option on how to remove activate Windows 10 watermark is. Since all you need is the Notepad app on your device. So, only with the Notepad app, you can actually remove the Windows 10 watermark. Remember, this method is also focused on removing the activate Windows 10 watermark. All you need to do are:
- Open Notepad on your desktop. Then type exactly:
taskkill /F(space) /IM explorer.exe
- Now click “Save As”on File. Then, change its type of file to “All Files”. Next, name it as “remove.bat”.
- Now go to the file location.
- After that, select the file and right-click it. Choose “Run as administrator” (the one with shield icon). This time, your device will get restarted.
- Next, wait for a few minutes, and you’ll notice that the activate Windows 10 watermark has disappeared from your screen device.
6. Download Universal Watermark Disabler
Another method on how to remove activate Windows 10 watermark is to try Universal Watermark Disabler. Furthermore, it is software to remove simply all kinds of watermarks on your device. This application software also works well for Windows 8.1 and Windows 8.1. To do so, you need to:
- Download Universal Watermark Disabler from your device from Winaero site.
- After it downloaded, unzip it before you open it.
- Then, click on “Install” from the dialog box that pops up to run the application.
- Now you’re signing out from your device.
- Next, once you signed back in, the activate Windows 10 watermark now removed.
As I mentioned above, there are several methods you can use to remove the activate Windows 10 watermark. Moreover, you better go with the safest method to remove your activate Windows 10 watermark. For example, purchasing the license at Microsoft Store. But if it’s likely impossible for such a short-term, you can still try regedit and notepad tricks I’ve also mentioned. Or maybe if you just annoyed by the activate watermark without actually want to activate your Windows 10.
In that case, regedit and notepad tricks are good enough to try. Besides, you should know that the tricks didn’t guarantee for permanent success. Well, maybe they can work at some times then will reappear in the future. That said, they’re just temporary solutions on how to remove activate Windows 10 watermark. Also, remember that a different cause or reason need a different solution. So, it’s important to know the cause of your activation issue before you tempted to try all of the methods on.