Figma has been one of the most popular apps for designing. However, many users would rather pick the other apps that offer better pricing with more abundant features. And if you are one of those users, these best Figma alternatives would be something you want to know.
What is Figma?
Before checking out the alternatives of this badass app, what is Figma used for? Knowing the answer of this basic question allows you to find the best Figma alternatives which hopefully gives you a lot more than Figma could.
Figma is a tool for making prototypes, editing vector graphics, and designing interfaces, which you can run in the browser. This app is a web-based program that can be used offline too.
Just like any other app, this app comes with a series of pros and cons. Knowing these aspects allows you to decide whether or not you will like the product.
Pros of Figma
- Users always get the output as expected due to the standardization.
- Various tools and effortless collaboration.
- The prototype mode allows users to review components realistically.
- Controlling time transition between screens is easier.
- The app is available in Windows, Mac, and browsers.
- Users love its simple UX and UI. There is no need to go back and forth to find what you need.
Cons of Figma
- However, its simple UI and UX build may complicate how or where to find specific assets.
- Users have to train themselves to master all tools in Figma, but you have to do it intuitively considering no training or course is available.
- Casual users may find the view options a bit confusing.
- There is no timestamp feature.
- Keeping track of changes is challenging.
After reading the short description along with the pros and cons above, you may start to look for the alternative to Figma. Luckily, there are plenty of options available on the market. While some of them are inexpensive and affordable, some others don’t require you to pay for their services.
The Best Figma Alternatives
So, which Figma competitors will provide adequate services to your work needs? Below, there is a list of app names you should consider. Some pros and cons will help you to decide, after all.
1. Adobe XD
The first name on the ilst is Adobe XD, which stands for Adobe Experience Designer. It is compatible with Windows and Mac OS devices, which you can seamlessly integrate your work with other Adobe apps.
It comes with a free plan, which suits entry-level users to create animations. Other than that, even though you don’t need to pay for a subscription, the features are rich and extremely helpful with your work.
Of course, you can upgrade the plan starting from USD 9.99 per month. Before jumping to conclusion, you better read the Adobe XD pros and cons in the first place.
Pros of Adobe XD
- The output is vector-based and available for mobile devices too.
- Creating animated prototypes has never been this easy.
- Integrating the files with Photoshop and Illustrator is effortless.
- Voice commands feature is available.
- Automatically adjusting to various screen sizes.
Cons of Adobe XD
- There is no way to draw custom shapes.
- There are no CSS plugins.
- Some updates come with bugs
The next name for the alternative of Figma is InVision. This app is a prototyping tool to design and develop UI and UX. Even though the platform requires membership in the first place, both members and non-members can collaborate seamlessly with this app.
Besides the ease of use, InVison comes as a perfect app that supports customization on a whole different level. This app comes in free and paid plans, both for Windows and Mac devices.
According to InVision review, this app offers more flexible features and an affordable membership fee, which makes this app an excellent candidate to replace Figma. The upgrade cost starts from USD 7.95 monthly for a small group user that consists of members and non-members.
Pros of InVision
- One-stop app for designers.
- You can integrate the work with other tools, such as Dropbox, Drive, Jira, and so on.
- The community is huge, which will help you tackle issues every time needed.
Cons of InVision
- This app is a web-based program, which requires a constant internet connection to work.
- The only design tool you can use with InVision is Sketch
- Some freelancers consider the pricing a bit neck-wrecking.
If you try to find a Figma alternative on Reddit, Balsamiq would be one of the top names on the list. It comes strongly with a unique focus on wireframing, which makes this app one of the best Figma alternatives.
You can use it effortlessly on Windows and Mac OS devices as well as an integration for Jira, Google Drive, and Atlassian’s Confluence. While users can use this app to design websites, apps and UI, Balsamiq also offers an “academy” so that anyone can learn this app even from the entry level.
Balsamiq offers several pricing plans depending on the number of users. Before making any decision, you better read some pros and cons below.
Pros of Balsamiq
- You can click the “Create New” option to make new mockups; no complicated steps required.
- Editing wireframes is also effortless. Click on the object to edit them.
- Users can focus more on functionality, considering the wireframes are sketch-based.
Cons of Balsamiq
- The functionality is not as rich as other similar apps.
- Limited UI elements.
- There is no way to create interactive prototypes.
When it comes to programs like Figma, you should also consider the Pencil Project. This app helps you design graphical UI for both mobile and desktop platforms. Besides the features, this app is also a free Figma alternative with open-source format.
You can use the tool to design GUIs from zero or choose shapes from various categories in its library collections. Users can also choose the license, whether for individuals or organizations. However, this app is not a vector-based tool with a limited names of exported formats.
Pros of Pencil Project
- The app is flexible and comfortable to develop various apps for both mobile and desktop devices.
- Users can use the free plan to make a demo website.
- Intuitive tools.
Cons of Pencil Projects
- You need at least 15 pages to make a web mockup.
- Users can only add limited elements for the mockup.
Another name you have to consider is Sketch. This vector-based graphic tool helps you a lot to make UI and UX designs for both websites and mobile apps. However, this app is only available for Mac OS users.
This app is compatible with other programs, such as Photoshop and Illustrator. You can also export the output into SVG, WEBP, PDF, JPG, PNG, and a lot more.
You can try its 30-days trial program and then upgrade the plan starting from USD 9 per user per month. Check out the pros and cons of Sketch before deciding on the plan.
Pros of Sketch
More affordable than Figma and you can use the latest version even though you don’t renew.
- The output is smaller in size.
- Coming with CSS.
- Built-in grids are available and easy to measure.
- All elements are vectors.
- It has an autosave feature.
Cons of Sketch
- Illustration options are limited so that you need another app to do the work.
- Coming with cloud sharing but the resolution is poor.
- Only for Mac OS devices.
For those who look for a Sketch Figma alternative for Windows, Lunacy might be right for you. As a vector-based tool, this app comes with tons of unique features. Other than that, you don’t need to pay a penny to utilize all features.
It is also packed with tons of built-in design resources, such as illustrations, vectors, icons, and many more. You can integrate your work with Sketch too.
However, Lunacy is in beta. Regardless of all issues, users are facing right now, it will get better from time to time.
Wondershre Mockitt is an excellent app that delivers what Figma can. Besides some matching features and the capability to collaborate with other users, it offers a wider OS support, such as Windows, macOS, Ubuntu, and online platforms.
To support your work, Wondershare Mockitt comes with tons of built-in components and widgets for direct use. Reviewing and sharing prototypes have never been this easy.
The cloud sharing option also boosts streamlined workflows. Still, you better check out the pros and cons of Wondershare Mockitt review.
Pros of Wondershare Mockitt
- The interface is fast and responsive, along with user-friendly tools.
- Sharing security is banking grade.
- Everyone is on the same page.
- Comprehensive tools for designing and can be reused.
- Varied assets and effects for free.
- Work from anywhere.
Cons of Wondershare Mockitt
- However, you need a stable internet connection to use this app.
- Even though it comes with tons of elements and widgets, some common widgets are unavailable.
Another alternative you should check out is Affinity Designer. This app comes with a robust series of tools for designing UI and UX. Other than that, you can pick from various color palettes, brush types, and a lot more.
This app focuses on vector graphics and how to create stunning visuals for better UI and UX. Other than that, Affinity Designer can be integrated with Photoshop and Illustrator.
Pros of Affinity Designer
- User-friendly UI even for beginners.
- Coming with advanced design tools but intuitive enough for entry-level users.
- Cross-platform support.
- TrueSVG output to enhance the experience at any zoom level.
- Manipulating properties is effortless.
Cons of Affinity Designer
- There are no plugins for architecture.
- All objects are treated as filled, thus you cannot select any of them in background layers.
This app encourages to make the handoff process as convenient and effortless as possible to developers. Other than that, its design interface is robust. It is safe to say that Quant-UX is one of the best Figma alternatives.
Quant-UX also comes with a feature that segregates design and business logics. It practically solves a huge conflict between the design and development processes. Best of all, this app doesn’t require you to pay for a subscription at all.
Pros of Quant-UX
- Packed with powerful tools to top visual designs.
- It comes with CSS and other code generation.
- API extensions.
- Business and UI logics are separated.
- Rich library assets.
- Free and open-source.
Cons of Quant-UX
- Not enough control over assets and other collections.
- Requires internet connection to operate.
According to a Figma review on the internet, Abstract is one of those apps that provide adequate services, especially when it comes to collaborative works. This app also allows you and your team to use various advanced features together. While keeping the team on the same page, clients can also review the work in live.
Pros of Abstract
- Features are controllable.
- Progress and statuses are easy to monitor.
- It separates workspaces and comes with integrated file-sharing locations.
- Creating various design variants is effortless.
Cons of Abstract
- You have to upgrade your plan to get a CSS feature.
- When the free trial is over and you don’t pay for the plan, the app becomes non-functional.
There are more than enough apps like Figma you can find out there. However, only a few of the names are qualified to be the alternative of that app. The list of apps above so the top tiers stole the show.
Other than that, you will find several factors that determine why those apps are considered the alternative of Figma. And according to the comparison of the pros and cons above, Adobe XD is undoubtedly the best.
Of course, Adobe XD has several pros and cons too. However, if you also work with other Adobe apps, such as Illustration and Photoshop, using Adobe XD will add more benefits to your work.
More than anything, pick an app that supports your work style. The best Figma alternatives that work for you is the one that can accommodate your work seamlessly.