Instagram is unarguably a popular social app with million active users worldwide. While you enjoy sharing photos and videos with friends, you may find a bully that hits you with bad comments. When this happens, knowing how to block and unblock someone on Instagram will help you out.
Blocking feature helps make Instagram a positive and friendly online space for everyone. Whether you become a target of harassment or simply want to get rid of someone, you can block the user and retrieve your happiness on this social platform.
Table of Contents
How to Block Someone on Instagram via App
When you block a user, you prevent them from seeing your posts or stories and sending you a message. They won’t appear on your followers list and they cannot make any interaction with you. No worries, someone you block will not get notification so they will never know they’ve been blocked.
How to block someone via app and via desktop is slightly different. Follow the steps below to block a user using Instagram application.
- Open Instagram app on your mobile device.
- Find the person you wish to block. You can either use search tool or scroll through the followers list. When you see the account, tap on it.
- After opening someone’s account, tap three dots on the upper-right corner of the screen.
- Select Block.
- Tap Block on confirmation pop-up.
- You will receive a notification pop-up that you have blocked the account. Tap OK.
The blocked user won’t be able to find you, send message or leave a comment. They cannot open your profile on Instagram via app but they can still find you with hidden posts via website. Now you can enjoy posting photos and videos with friends without harassment.
How to Block Someone on Instagram via Website
Another way to block someone on IG is using a desktop computer. If you don’t have Instagram app on your smartphone, browse Instagram website and block a user from there. Despite the steps are rather different, you won’t find difficulties doing it.
Follow these steps to block someone on Instagram via website:
- Go to Instagram website at http://www.instagram.com
- Log into your account. Visit the profile you would like to block.
- Click the three dots icon at the upper-middle of your screen.
- Select Block this user.
- Click Block on confirmation pop-up.
- Now the account has been blocked.
Once blocked, you won’t be able to see their posts and they won’t be able to see your posts too. Anytime you change your mind, unblock the account so you can interact as usual. That’s why you need to learn how to block and unblock someone on Instagram.
How to Unblock Someone via App
Now let’s say that the annoying person has said sorry on another social app. If you ever change your mind, simply unblock the account and you will be able to share anything with them. Once unblocked, they can see your post and they can send messages to you just like before you block them.
Here’s how to unblock someone on Instagram via application:
- Open Instagram app on your smartphone.
- Go to your Profile by tapping a profile icon on the bottom-right corner.
- Tap on three horizontal lines on the upper-right corner of the screen to reveal the profile menu.
- Select Settings with a gear icon at the bottom of your screen.
- Tap Privacy option.
- Scroll down and navigate to Blocked Accounts. Tap on it.
- You’ll see a list of accounts you have blocked. Choose Unblock button.
- Tap Unblock again on confirmation popup.
- Select OK.
Now that the account has been unblocked, you can interact as usual. Much like when you block the account, the user will not receive notification. In other words, they never know you’ve blocked and unblocked them on Instagram.
How to Unblock Someone via Website
Without the need for downloading Instagram app, you can easily unblock someone via website. The steps are quite similar to using app but you’ll find a few differences here. As it uses a browser, you can do it on smartphone or desktop computer.
Follow the instructions below:
- Open your browser and go to http://www.instagram.com.
- Type the account you wish to unblock on the search bar. It should be at the top of your page.
- Click the suggested account to go to their profile.
- Once you open their profile, click Unblock button.
- Click Unblock on confirmation popup.
- Select Dismiss on notification popup.
- Now you can see their posts and vice versa.
A thing to note—when you block a user, you will lose a follower. You won’t be able to find them on your followers list. When you use Instagram app, you cannot search them as well. But once you unblock them, they will be back on your followers list.
To ensure your convenience while using Instagram, this platform offers blocking feature so you can get rid of annoying users. Learning how to block and unblock someone on Instagram helps you enjoy the social app at its best.