Finding your Gmail is stuffed with thousands of emails can be overwhelming. It is not only difficult to know if you receive new messages but it also gives you an eyesore. If you are wondering how to mark all emails as read in Gmail, we have got you covered.
Gmail comes with a useful feature that allows you to mark messages as read without opening them. However, the standard interface lets you mark only one page at the time. Read on and find out how to mark multiple unread messages as read to cut your time.
How to Mark All Unread Emails as Read in Gmail
When you are working with a laptop or computer, marking entire messages is much faster and simple. Without the need forwarding through your emails page by page, Gmail has an advanced search feature that enables you to mark all messages read at a time.
Unfortunately, the same method doesn’t work with Gmail app on Android or iPhone. Here is a step-by-step instruction to mark the entire unread messages as read on the web.
- Open your Gmail account via browser. Sign in using your email address and password if needed.
- In the search box, type “label:inbox is:unread” without the quotes.
- Gmail will display unread message of your inbox.
- Click the Down arrow and select All.
- Choose Select All Conversations That Match the Results that appears above your messages.
- Click More button, hit Mark as Read.
- Select OK.
- Gmail marks the entire inbox messages as read.
This process may take a few seconds depending on your unread messages. If you have hundreds or thousands of accumulated unread messages, it may take more time to finish. Once it is done, your Gmail will appear clean and neat.
Other benefits of marking all messages as read is that you can easily figure out if new messages come. You may also need to learn how to filter messages or how to mark emails as spam so your inbox become more organized.
How to Mark Unread Messages as Read on Mobile Apps
Gmail is available on mobile apps, allowing you to send, receive, and read messages incredibly quick and easy. It supports Android and iPhone, both offer a user-friendly and simple interface. Besides creating and opening messages, you can also do things like marking unread messages as read.
However, unlike Gmail on the web, it doesn’t allow you to mark entire messages at a time. Mobile app version doesn’t feature a drop-down menu as that of the web version that allows you to mark all messages in one click.
Instead, you will need to tap and hold each message to highlight them before marking as read. It can be daunting especially if you have bulk of unread messages to mark as read. Even though you can use search feature, there is no way to mark them at a time.
Before getting this done from your smartphone, make sure you have downloaded and installed Gmail app. Sign in to your account using your email address and password. Gmail will display a list of primary messages. Scroll down to find unread messages you want to mark as read.
How to mark all emails as read in Gmail app is quite simple. Here is how to do it:
- On the primary messages page, tap the search icon.
- Type “is:unread” without space and quotation.
- You will see unread messages on your screen.
- Tap and hold messages you want to mark, tap envelope icon to mark as read.
- Repeat this step until you mark entire unread messages as read.
If you have enough time and you don’t have too many messages to mark, this is an easy and simple alternative to clean up your email. But if you have hundreds or thousands of messages to mark, it is strongly recommended to work from your computer.
How to Mark Read Messages as Unread
Gmail also has a feature that allows you to mark read messages as unread. If you are sharing Gmail with other employees or simply want to read specific messages for later, marking emails as unread is a great way to find it.
Just as with how to mark all emails as read in Gmail, marking them as unread is completely easy. Whether you are working with computer or mobile apps, follow instructions below to get this done.
1. Via Web Browser
Running Gmail website on your computer browser offers an easy way to manage your messages. Everything you need to do with read or unread emails are available on toolbars, allowing you to carry out a better management.
And if you want to mark read messages as unread, here is how to do it:
- Run a browser from your computer and go to Gmail.
- Sign in if needed.
- Find messages you wish to mark as unread and put a tick on the box.
- Click the envelope icon to mark as unread.
- Your messages are highlighted and labeled as unread.
Click the message to open and it will be marked as read. If you want to mark it as unread again, repeat the steps above.
2. Via Mobile App
How to mark multiple emails as unread in Gmail app comes simple. Only with a few steps, nobody will know that you have opened the messages. Follow the instructions below:
- Run Gmail app from your Android or iPhone.
- Tap and hold messages you want to mark as unread.
- Select a closed envelope icon at the top of your screen.
- Messages are marked as unread.
How to mark all emails as read in Gmail is incredibly easy from the browser. But from mobile apps, you have to tap and hold each message to mark them as read or unread.