Telegram focuses not only on providing an engaging chat experience but also user convenience. When your peaceful time is bothered by someone, Telegram allows you to block that user. Fortunately, how to block and unblock someone on Telegram comes easy.
Reasons to block someone may vary, from sending inappropriate messages or cyberbullying. No matter what reasons you have, the person that you blocked won’t be able to send you messages until you unblock them. However, you’re still on their contact list.
Table of Contents
How to Block Someone on Telegram
There are some ways to block someone on Telegram. Different steps are required for smartphone and desktop, so you’d better check these out!
1. How to Block and Unblock Someone Via Mobile App
Working with Telegram app on Android or iPhone is quite easy. You can block someone right from the contact. Here’s how to do it.
- Open Telegram app on your mobile device.
- Once opened, it should display your contact list.
- Scroll through the contact and find a contact you wish to block. If you don’t want to scroll down, simply search the username.
- When you find the contact, tap on it. This action will open a conversation between you and that person.
- Tap on their name, then tap three horizontal dots icon on the top-right of your screen.
- Select Block User option. On a pop-up dialog box, tap Okay to confirm.
- This contact has been successfully blocked.
If you press the back button, you’ll see that you cannot send message to this contact. If you ever change your mind, this contact can be unblocked.
2. How to Block and Unblock Someone Via Desktop App
When you’re using the Telegram app on desktop, how to block a contact is quite similar. You can do it right from the contact or chat list. Here are steps you can do:
- Launch Telegram app on your Mac or PC.
- Find the contact you want to block. If you have a conversation with that person, you can open the chat.
- Click the contact, and click More.
- It will reveal several options. Select Block user.
Once blocked, that user won’t be able to contact you on Telegram.
How to Block Multiple Contacts
In the event you want to block multiple contacts at the same time, there’s a simple way you can do. Whenever you learn how to block and unblock someone on Telegram, this method is worth trying. Here’s how to do it:
- Open Telegram app on your mobile device.
- Go to Settings by tapping the 3-line icon on the upper-left corner.
- Choose Privacy and Security.
- Select Blocked Users option under Privacy settings.
- To block multiple contacts, tap (+) Add button.
- Choose the contacts you want to block.
This is the easiest way to block multiple users at the same time. They’ll remain on your contact list but they’re unable to send you a message or receive your message.
How to Unblock Someone on Telegram
If you ever change your mind, simply unblock the person. Telegram makes it easy to unblock someone, so you can contact them anymore. There are two ways to unblock the user, including from the chatbox or from the contact list.
1. How to Unblock from Chatbox
When you block someone, it doesn’t automatically delete a conversation you’ve ever made with that person. So, you can unblock them right from the chatbox.
- Open Telegram, go to chat list.
- Tap a chat with the blocked user to open it.
- In the conversation, you’ll see Unblock button instead of message box. Tap on it.
- Now the user has been unblocked. You can send messages or make calls to that person.
2. How to Unblock from Contact List
Since the blocked users are still on your contact list, you can unblock them from the list. Do the following steps to do it:
- Launch Telegram app, go to contact list.
- Once you’re on the contact list, tap and hold the user you want to unblock.
- Hit Unblock.
Now those users have been unblocked. From now on, you can send messages or make calls. Before deciding to unblock users, be sure they won’t bother your peaceful time on Telegram.
How to Know If You’ve Been Blocked
Telegram doesn’t send notification when you have been blocked by someone. However, it’s possible to identify if someone has blocked you. There are some signs that will help you know, they are:
1. No Online Status
When you’re blocked, that person won’t be able to see your online status. Instead, the status is going to be Seen a long time ago. If you recently have had a communication with that person and the status turned like that, this can be a sign that you’ve been blocked.
2. No Profile Photo
You won’t be able to see the profile photo of someone who has blocked you. This is because you lose access to their profile information, including photo. When your friend’s photo contact doesn’t display suddenly, this can be an indication that you are blocked.
3. Contact Doesn’t Receive Your Message
Now you can try to send any messages to the contact. If it doesn’t receive your message and only show one tick instead of two ticks, it may indicate that you are blocked. You are unable to send message unless that person unblock you.
4. Cannot Make a Call
Another way to know if you’ve been blocked by someone is that you cannot make a call. When you try to call them but it doesn’t complete, it is more likely they’ve blocked you.
In short, Telegram’s block feature is designed for user’s convenience. How to block and unblock someone on Telegram is completely simple, allowing you to enjoy Telegram at its best.