When signing up for Facebook, you are required to fill out basic information, including gender. Whether you mistakenly chose gender option or change gender, Facebook allows you to change the information. Fortunately, how to change gender on Facebook is completely easy.
There are multiple gender options to choose from. Even if you cannot identify yourself as either male or female, Facebook has many other gender-identity options that better represent yourself on the social media platform. Learn more here to get to know how to change your gender on Facebook!
Table of Contents
Multiple Gender Options on Facebook
Since 2014, Facebook decided to add more gender options to help users easily identify themselves. This platform initially rolled out around 50 gender options, including gender fluid and bigender. Later, it has more than 71 different gender options to accommodate its users.
Not only does Facebook provide a wide variety of gender options, but this platform also lets users decide what kind of pronoun describes them best like he, she, or they. The goal is to make Facebook a better place for everyone.
Here’s a few examples of gender options available on Facebook:
- Cis woman
- Cis man
- Gender fluid
- Transgender person
These gender options are available in Custom. So if you don’t identify as either male or female, simply refer to Custom and you’ll find a long list of gender options.
Please note that gender and sex are different. While sex is more related to sexual characteristics of someone, gender is a phenomenon constructed by social and culture and isn’t related to sexual characteristics.
How to Change Gender on Facebook
There are several ways to change gender on Facebook. Either you want to change gender option or add a new one, this platform allows you to do it easily. Take a closer look at ways to edit Facebook gender option below.
1. Via Facebook App on iPhone
If you are using iPhone, changing the gender option is pretty simple using the Facebook app. Only with a few steps, your account will display a new type of gender. Whether you identify yourself as male, female, or others, Facebook can accommodate your identity.
Here’s how to change gender on Facebook via iPhone:
- Launch the Facebook app on your iPhone. If needed, sign in using your email address and password.
- Once you logged in, tap Menu option with three-line icon. It should be in the bottom-right corner of your screen.
- Tap your name at the top of the screen.
- Select See Your About Info below your profile picture.
- Scroll down to navigate to the Basic Info section.
- Next, tap Edit below the Contact Information.
- Choose a gender option. There are Female, Male, and Custom options. Tap on Custom if you don’t identify yourself as male or female.
- A gender window will pop up. Choose your preferred gender to change then click Save.
Now your gender information should be updated. Your friends will be able to view your new gender preferences.
2. Via Facebook App on Android
Like iPhone users, Android users can update their gender option through the Facebook app. While the steps are quite similar, icon placement might be slightly different. So, you’d better follow the steps below to get this done.
- Open Facebook App on your Android and login using email address and password.
- On the News Feed page, tap Menu option with three-line icon. It should be in the top-right corner of your screen.
- Next, tap your name at the top of the screen.
- Scroll down then tap About below your profile picture.
- Select More about you. If your profile is not complete, you’ll need to tap Skip then choose About again.
- Tap Edit option next to Basic Info.
- Scroll down and tap Gender option. Choose a gender of your preference. If you’re neither male nor female, select Custom.
- In a Custom gender pop-up window, select a gender option and add a pronoun you prefer.
- Tap the Save button to finish.
Now your gender information has been updated. If you need to change gender option in the future, simply repeat the steps above.
3. Via Facebook Website
You can also edit gender option via Facebook website. Without a smartphone, all you need to do is open a browser from your computer, go to Facebook website, and get everything done right from there. Overall, the steps are pretty similar with two previous methods.
Take a closer look at instructions below:
- Open browser from your computer, go to Facebook website.
- If you logged out in the previous session, log back in using your email and password.
- On the News Feed page, click your name. It should be in the top-right section of the page.
- Click About below your cover image, then select Contact and Basic Info.
- Scroll down and navigate to Gender section. Click Edit.
- Click the drop-down menu next to Gender option and choose a gender of your preference.
- Click Custom if you don’t identify yourself as male or female. This action will open a Custom gender window with around 71 different options. Select a gender and add pronoun that you prefer.
- Click Save Changes.
Your gender has changed. Your friends and public will be able to see your new gender preference. In case you don’t want this change appears on your timeline, uncheck Show on my timeline option and click Save Changes.
Now that you have known how to change gender on Facebook, you can express yourself in a better way. With around 71 different gender options available, this platform accommodate people with different gender to connect with people and show their true selves.