Telegram is a popular messaging app that offers tons of features. Among highlighted features is powerful group chat that allows you to add up to 200,000 members. How to create a Telegram group is completely simple and easy so you can tackle it in no time.
Here, you’re about to learn how to make a new group chat on Telegram. Besides, you’ll also figure out how to add members in different ways. After creating a Telegram group, you’ll be able to share unlimited messages, photos, videos, and much more.
Table of Contents
What’s Group Chat on Telegram?
Group chat is Telegram’s basic feature that allows users to communicate in groups. This tool is powerful to build communities as it supports up to 200,000 members for each group. Whether you want to create a family group or community, Telegram has got you covered.
There are a bunch of features that make group chats on Telegram stand out, such as unified history that edits your messages after posting; cross-platform availability; instant search; replies, mention, hashtags to keep communication efficient despite the large group size; and smart notifications.
On top of that, Telegram’s group chat offers pinned message feature that lets you pin any message. The pinned message will be displayed at the top so all members can easily get it.
Much like group chats on WhatsApp, Telegram allows you to appoint administrators to manage the group. The administrator can delete messages, pin important messages, and control membership.
Many Telegram users are confused by Telegram groups and channels. While group is a tool for sharing with limited members, channels are a broadcasting tool that supports unlimited subscribers. Any messages posted in a channel will be signed with the channel’s name instead of your username.
How to Create a Telegram Group
Creating a Telegram group chat is quite simple. Whether you’re using Android, iOS, or desktop, it only takes a few seconds. Once created, you can share messages, photos, and other files to all members. Here’s a closer look at how to create Telegram groups on various devices.
1. On Android
Before creating a group chat on Telegram, be sure to connect your smartphone to the internet network. Whenever you’re ready, do the following steps to make a new group:
- Launch Telegram app on your Android. It should be the one with a paper plane icon in a blue circle.
- In the chat list, tap the circular pencil icon. It should be on the bottom-right of your screen.
- Next, choose New Group.
- Select the contacts you want to add to the new group.
- Pick a photo and a name for the group.
- Tap on the blue checkmark to finish.
That’s how to create a new group chat on Telegram on Android. Once a group has been created, add members to communicate with.
2. On iOS
Much like creating a group chat on Android, working with iOS won’t take much of your time. But if you need a little help, here’s how to make a group on iOS:
- Open Telegram app on your iOS.
- Tap on Chats in the top-right corner, then tap on the New Message icon.
- Select New Group.
- Choose the contacts you want to add to the group.
- Next, tap on the checkmark.
- Pick a name and choose a photo to your new group.
A group chat is already created. You can start to send messages, photos, videos, and files to all members.
3. How to Create a Telegram Group on Desktop
It’s a little bit different to create a Telegram group chat on desktop. Whether you’re running Windows or Mac on computer, here’s how to do it:
- Launch Telegram app on Windows or Mac.
- Once opened, click the menu button on the top-left corner of the screen.
- Next, choose New Group.
- A new window will pop-up. Give a name to the group and click Next.
- Now, select contacts you want to add into the group.
- After that, click Create.
You’ve successfully made a group chat on Telegram on desktop. Now you can test the group by sending messages, stickers, or photos to the group members.
How to Add Members to Telegram Group
You can add members when creating a group chat but you might need to add new people in the future. Luckily, adding members into Telegram’s group isn’t a big deal.
There are two ways to add members to your group: invite people from the contact list and create an invite link. While inviting people from the contact list requires you to add them to your contact, invite link works well to invite any users even if they’re not in your contact.
1. How to Add Members to Telegram Group via Contact List
You can add members to Telegram group by inviting contacts. Before doing this method, make sure they are already added into your contacts. Or, you can also search them by username. Here’s how to do it:
- Open Telegram app from your smartphone.
- Tap the group to open it.
- Tap on the group’s name, then select Add members.
- Choose the contact you want to add or search by username.
- Tap check mark icon and new contact will be added to the group.
2. How to Add Members to Telegram Group Via Invite Link
Another way to add group member is via invite link. You can generate a link and send it to Telegram users. Once they click the link, they will be automatically added to the group. Here’s how to do it:
- Launch Telegram.
- Tap on your group, then select Group Info.
- Choose Add Member, tap on Invite to Group via Link.
- Anyone with the link can join your group.
All in all, Telegram group chat is a powerful feature as it can squeeze up to 200,000 people. How to create a Telegram group is completely easy, allowing you to create a large community in a few seconds.