Google Docs is one of the best alternatives to Microsoft Word. The web-based program has plenty of features to create, edit, and share documents in real-time. Just in case you want to enhance your documents, this program lets you add borders. Do you know how to add a border in Google Docs?
If your answer is no, you have landed on the right page. Here, you will see how easy it is to add borders in Google Docs. Be it around pages, around paragraphs, or around images, adding borders is a great way to make your documents more attractive. Read on and give it a try.
Table of Contents
How to Add a Border in Google Docs: A Simple One
Even though Google Docs is not packed with a built-in page border tool, there are a couple of ways to add a border. One of the easiest and the most popular is using a table trick. If you wish to embellish a page with a creative border, simply add a table and customize it.
Here is how to achieve this goal easily:
- Go to Google Docs and open your document.
- On a certain page, click Insert.
- Click Table and choose the grid. For a border around the page, click 1×1 grid.
- A 1×1 grid table will be added to your document. Resize the table by dragging its corner. Be sure it goes around the page.
- Customize the border by right-clicking the table and select Table properties.
- Change table border color and thickness, cell background color, and cell alignment, and more.
- Click OK.
The border is now customized to your liking. If you wish to change each border line, click on the desired line and use border icons on the toolbar to change color, widths, and line styles. You can choose different styles from solid to dots.
How to add a border in Google Docs and is quick and easy especially if it goes around the page. You can also add text inside the table and type as usual. This way, you will have a text with a color border even though this web-based program doesn’t have a built-in border tool.
How to Add Page Border in Google Docs with a Frame
If you have enough time to work with Google Docs document, you may be interested to create an amazing page border with Google Drawings. Because it allows you to create your own border, it offers more options to customize your document.
Follow the instructions below to add border with a frame from Google Drawings:
- Go to Google Docs. Open your document or create a new one.
- Click Insert, choose Drawing.
- Select New if you want to create a new drawing or From Drive if you want to import it from Google Drive.
- If you select New, a blank canvas will open.
- If you want to use a frame as a page border, select Image on the top of the Drawing Menu.
- If you already have a frame that you want to use as a page border, you can upload it or you can use the search feature. To use the search feature, you can use “frame” or “border” as keywords, once you find a frame, click on it and click Select.
- If you are happy with the frame, click Save and close.
- The frame will be automatically added to your Google Docs. Adjust the size of the frame to match the margin border.
- To add text, double click on the frame and insert a text box to the frame, then start typing. Click Save and Close when you have done.
How to add a border in Google Docs with a frame brings lots of fun. You can be as creative as you want and add the most unique border that can be found anywhere else. If you are a student who wishes to get an added value, this is a great way to impress your teacher.
How to Add Borders around Paragraphs
What if you want to add borders around paragraphs rather than a full page? No need to worry about this. Google Docs allows you to achieve this goal without taking too much effort. Unlike the previous method that uses a table trick, now you can work from the Format option.
Follow instructions below to border a certain paragraph:
- Open the document where you want to add a border or create a new document.
- Click on the paragraph you wish to add a border.
- Click Format on the menu bar, select Paragraph styles.
- Choose Borders and shading.
- Make sure the border position is on top, bottom, left, and right. If they are selected, the icons should be highlighted blue.
- Adjust border width to your liking. The higher its number, the thicker your border will be.
- Choose the border dash that you want, from solid to dots to dashed.
- Set border color as you prefer.
- You can also adjust background color and paragraph padding.
- Click Apply if you are finished.
The selected paragraph is now bordered. If you are not satisfied with the result, go to format and reset border styles to meet your preferences. Whether you have a long or short paragraph, border and shading can be used to add a visual interest to the document.
How to Add a Border in Google Docs around Images
Google Docs also allows you to add a border around an image. Whether you want to improve the image for a school project or simply have fun with Google Docs, here are steps to follow:
- Go to Google Docs and create a new document.
- Click Insert on the menu bar, choose Image.
- Select the source of the image, be it from computer, drive, or Google Photos.
- Locate your image and click Open.
- Resize the image if necessary.
- Use border icons on the toolbar to customize image borders.
- The pencil icon allows you to change border color. Pick a color that suits your preferences.
- Click on the three-line icon to set border width. Choose between 1pt to 24pt that you think will work best for the image.
- Lastly, click on the border style icon to customize the style of your border. You can choose between solid line, dots, to dashed line.
Now your image is improved with a border. Feel free to change border color, width and style until you are satisfied with the result.
All in all, how to add a border in Google Docs is a simple and easy process. However, it can make a significant improvement to the document especially if you do it the right way.