Messenger is an instant messaging app that offers a lot of fun, thanks to tons of features brought to your table. But for whatever reasons, you might want to get rid of a Messenger contact. If you wish to know how to delete someone from Messenger, it’s your lucky day!
Here, you are about to learn how to remove a Messenger contact. Although delete button has been removed from this app, there are some alternative methods to achieve this goal. Don’t go anywhere and keep scrolling through the page for more information!
Table of Contents
How to Remove Contacts from Messenger
Despite the update that removes the delete feature, different ways are available to get rid of a contact on your Messenger. Whether they are in your friend list or non friends, there is always way to do it. Moreover, this platform allows you to remove someone from a group with ease.
Please note that new update has been released. Along with this update, few changes are found. Now you can find the People icon in the middle-bottom of the app. Simply tap this button to find a contact you want to delete.
1. How to Delete a Contact in Your Friend List
How to remove someone from Messenger without delete button? Although Messenger has removed delete feature, it doesn’t mean you have to keep up with a friend you don’t like. Fortunately, there is a simple alternative to get this done.
Step by step instructions below will help you get rid of someone in your friend list:
- Run your Messenger app.
- Tap People icon then hit contact icon. It should be the one with book icon at the top of the screen.
- Now you will be able to see your contact list. Find a contact you wish to remove.
- Once you find it, tap the info icon to the right of the contact.
- Select the Message button to open the conversation window. After the window opens, tap on the info icon again. It should be at the top-right corner.
- Scroll down and select Block.
- Tap Block icon for Block on Messenger and Block on Facebook options. This will open a new tab and redirect you to Facebook page.
- Tap Block again.
It isn’t the same as removing the contact but it works in a similar way, even better. Blocked contact won’t be able to send you messages even though they remain your friend on Facebook. Besides, they cannot find you or send a request anymore. Now you can play Messenger with peace of mind!
2. How to Delete a Non-Friend from Your Messenger
If you often receive chats from a contact that is not in your friend list, you can easily delete the contact in question. How to delete people from Messenger if they are not in your friend list? It is actually a simple process but you might need a clear instruction. Please follow these steps:
- Open Messenger app on your device.
- Tap the Chat icon in the bottom of the screen.
- Navigate to the contact you wish to remove then hold the tap.
- Select Delete.
- Hit Delete to finalize.
That’s how to delete someone from Messenger if they are not in your friend list. Once deleted, they will neither send you messages nor appear as active friends.
3. How to Bulk Remove Non Friends from Messenger
So you keep receiving message requests from people that are not in your friend list. If you are tired of this, simply remove them from your Messenger. While removing the contact one by one can be time-consuming, you can bulk remove them to save a lot of time and energy.
Here is how to get this done:
- Open your Messenger app.
- Tap on your profile picture. It should be at the top left of the screen.
- Scroll down until you see Phone Contacts option. Tap on it.
- Next, select Manage contacts. Now you will see a list of non-friend contacts.
- If you want to delete all of them, tap Delete All Contacts.
This should delete all non-friends contact from your Messenger. If you want to avoid phone contacts from syncing with your Messenger, you may need to stop it.
To keep your Messenger from syncing automatically with phone contacts, do the steps below:
- Go to Messenger app.
- Tap your profile picture.
- Scroll down and tap on Phone Contacts option.
- Select Upload contacts then tap Turn Off.
This should stop automatic contact synchronization with your phone contact. This means you won’t see strangers in the active list on your Messenger or find unwanted people send message requests.
4. How to Delete Someone from Messenger Group
Being in the same group with a chatterbox can be annoying, if it cannot be said as frustrating. Luckily, Messenger allows you to remove someone from the group in a simple process. Once removed, the person will never be able to join group conversation.
Here are few steps to remove someone from a Messenger group:
- Launch Messenger app on your Android or iOS device.
- Open group conversation that contains a person you wish to remove.
- Find the person in the conversation and tap the profile picture.
- Now tap Remove from Group.
That’s it. Removed people are no longer part of the group so they will never be able to send messages. You and other group members may see a notification that the person has been removed.
How to Unfriend People on Messenger
Not only can you delete someone on Messenger, you can also unfriend them. If you don’t want to block the person, then unfriend can be a great alternative. People you unfriend will be deleted from your friend list or contact on Messenger.
While block function completely stop interactions between you and the person in question, including search and messages, it is not the case with unfriend. The person is able to find you again. Follow these steps to unfriend people:
- Open Messenger app.
- Find a person you wish to unfriend. Use search feature to help cut your time.
- Once the contact is found, tap on the profile picture to open the conversation box.
- Tap View Profile at the bottom corner.
- Choose Profile under the profile picture then select View Profile on Facebook.
- Tap Friends option at the top then choose Unfriend.
- Select Confirm to finish.
The person will be permanently deleted from your Facebook and Messenger. Please note that the user may send you friend request or messages in the future. But don’t worry, Facebook doesn’t send any notification after you unfriend the person in question.
How to delete someone from Messenger may be a bit tricky since this app has removed Delete feature. But with several alternatives above, you can get rid of someone you dislike.