When you browse using Google Chrome, it saves your search history to improve your experience in the future. However, browser history, cookies, and bookmarks take space on your PC and cause slow down. As an alternative, you can learn how to export Google Chrome history to resolve this issue.
When you export Chrome history, you create a backup for important browser history or cookies. You can preserve the data while maintaining the computer in a good performance. Scroll through the page and find out how you can export Chrome history and download it later.
Table of Contents
How to Export Chrome History
You can quickly export Chrome history without having to be a computer nerd. If you want to change a new laptop but don’t want to lose fancy history, it becomes essential to know how to export browser history. Or if the browsing speed starts to slow down, you should consider exporting history or cookies.
There are different ways to export Chrome history. You can either use third-party software or Chrome extensions to do it. Learn more about how to export Chrome history below.
1. Use Google Account
While going through history one by one can take a whole day, you may need to consider using Google Account to download Chrome browser history. Without having to download third-party programs or extensions, you will be able to download bookmarks, history, and other settings from Google Chrome.
Follow the instructions below to get this done:
- Run Google Chrome browser.
- Usually, it open new tab that contain Google homepage, if not, just type google.com and hit enter.
- You will find your image or first letter of your name at the upper right corner, click on it. Then click Manage your Google Account.
- Click Manage your data & personalization under Privacy and Personalization option.
- Scroll down until you find Download your data. Click this option.
- Next, select your Chrome data. Choose All Chrome data included.
- You will see a pop up window. Choose specific data you want to export. Click OK.
- Scroll down and click the Next step button on the bottom of the page.
- You will need to choose the delivery method, export frequency, and file type and file size. Choose based on your preferences then click Create export.
- Chrome will send you an email with a download link. Click the link to download your Chrome data.
How to export Google Chrome history with this method is simple but there is one issue-your data will be exported in different formats. Dictionary will be exported as .csv file, bookmarks as HTML, and others as .json files.
2. Use Chrome Extension
Another method to export Google Chrome history is using Chrome extension. This browser has a history export extension that enables you to export not only Chrome history but also cookies, bookmarks, and more. Your data will be exported to a .json file that can be converted to xls or csv.
- Go to the Chrome Web store and find the Chrome history extension. Select Export Chrome History. Add it to your browser.
- Once added to Chrome, click the extension. You can choose to download either as csv or json.
- Click the format as your liking.
- If you choose Download as CSV, you can open the data using Microsoft Excel for a further analysis.
Working with Chrome extension can save your time. Only with a single click, your Chrome history will be downloaded in a desired file type. However, this extension is limited by 3 month limit and it doesn’t include Google Account’s history.
3. Manually Export Chrome History
Manually backup Chrome history may sound traditional but it works well to export cookies or history of your browser. When you browse, cookies and history will be saved in local AppData so you trying this method will not fail you. Note: This method only can be done on Windows OS.
Follow easy instructions below:
- Click the Windows search box in your taskbar and type %AppData%. Press Enter.
- Select the AppData folder and open Local.
- Locate and open Google folder, select Chrome.
- Click User Data, then choose Default.
- Select History file.
Now you can copy and save this file for use somewhere else.
4. Use Third-Party Software
If you need to try something different, use third-party software to export Chrome history and cookies. There is various software available in the market, but you can opt for EaseUS Todo to make it happen. Claiming itself as powerful software, it enables you to backup data and personal files.
This software is free to download. As a bonus, how to export Google Chrome history is completely simple. If you are interested to give it a try, follow instructions below:
- Download EaseUS Todo Backup software.
- After completing the download, run it and choose File.
- Under the User Defined tab, choose the files you want to backup. Browse to find Google Chrome file.
- Choose a destination to save backup file. You may need to store the backup file in other drive or other storage media to ensure the safety of your files.
- Click Proceed to continue the operation.
This software enables you to restore history or cookie backups to the browser. Don’t worry, this process doesn’t involve complicated steps. Here is how to restore Chrome history or cookies:
- Run EaseUS Todo Backup. Select Browse to recover.
- Find Chrome history backup image then click OK.
- Hit Specify a recovery location and choose a location to restore Chrome history.
- Click Proceed.
If you wish to restore cookie backups to a new computer, follow these steps:
- Type %AppData% in the search box in the taskbar.
- Click the AppData folder and choose Local.
- Select Google and click Chrome.
- Go to Use Data folder and choose Default.
- Navigate to the History file and replace it with the backed up one.
The main benefit of using this software is that you can back up not only Chrome history but also other files in your computer. It is quite surprising to know that EaseUS Todo Backup also works well to back up Windows system.
To sum up, how to export Google Chrome history is a simple task. There are different ways to get this done, from using Google Takeout or Google Account to using third-party software. No matter your preferences, creating Chrome history backup helps improve your browsing experience.