While Instagram is a popular social media platform mainly used to post photos and videos, it comes with Direct Message feature that allows you to send messages with friends or followers. As time goes by, you might have a long list of conversations so you need to learn how to delete Instagram messages.
You’ve got two options when it comes to deleting Instagram messages. First, you can delete an entire conversation. Second, you can unsend messages you’ve sent. Either way, you will remove the messages Direct menu and your friends won’t be able to see it any longer.
Table of Contents
How to Delete a Conversation on Instagram
The first method to delete messages on Instagram is by removing an entire conversation. This action will delete all messages you’ve sent and received in your inbox but it remains available in friends’ inbox unless they deleted it too.
Deleting a conversation on Instagram only takes a few seconds. It is super simple and easy even for newbies. Here is how to do it from app:
- Launch Instagram app on your mobile device. If you need to log in, use your username and password.
- After you logged in, tap the paper plane icon to go to Instagram Direct. It should be on the top-right corner of your screen.
- Locate a conversation you would like to delete. Once you find it, tap and hold until you see some options including Delete, Mute Messages, and Mute Video Chats. Select Delete. If you use iPhone, swipe left to reveal Delete options.
- You will see a pop-up asking for a confirmation. Tap Delete to remove the conversation permanently.
This action cannot be undone, which means any deleted conversation cannot be retrieved. In case you need a copy of the conversation in the future, you might need to contact a friend you had a conversation with.
How to Delete Individual Messages on Instagram
While deleting an entire conversation will remove all messages you’ve sent and received, you have another option to delete unwanted messages. Instagram lets you unsend a message so you can remove it from your inbox as well as friend’s inbox.
This feature comes in handy to help improve your communication. Whether you make a typo or change your mind and want to send a new message, unsend feature is the best way to ensure every message will be well-received.
Additionally, this method is much more recommended especially if you have important discussions in the conversation. It helps you keep important messages and delete unwanted ones. Here is how to delete Instagram messages using unsend feature.
- Open Instagram app on your smartphone and login if necessary.
- Once you logged in, go to Instagram Direct by tapping the paper airplane icon in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- Tap on a conversation where a message you want to delete is located.
- After you find the message, tap and hold to reveal options. You will see three options, including Unsend Message, Copy Text, and Like. Select Unsend Message.
- The message will be unsent and removed from your and your friend’s inbox.
This is a great way to delete individual messages on Instagram so you won’t lose important messages in the conversation. Having that said, this feature does not let you unsend multiple messages so you will need to delete it one by one.
Can You Delete a Message Sent by Others?
While Instagram allows you to easily delete a message you’ve sent, it doesn’t let you delete received messages individually. When you receive unpleasant messages and want to get rid of it, you cannot remove it individually unless the sender unsend it.
When you tap and hold the received message, it will reveal three options including Report, Copy Text, and Like. Without delete and unsend options, you need to find another way to remove it from your inbox.
Delete an entire conversation is your only option to get rid of the messages. Once you delete the conversation, all messages you have received and sent will be deleted from your inbox. As it doesn’t exist in your inbox, you won’t be able to read it.
In short, Instagram Direct allows you to delete a message individually or in an entire conversation. How to delete Instagram messages is super simple only with tap and hold. But you cannot unsend other’s message so your only option is delete a whole conversation.