An extensive range of instant messaging apps allow you to send text messages with ease. But no one can’t tell how irritating it is when your important messages are ignored. You may be curious to know if the recipient has read or ignored you. Learn how to tell if someone read your text on Android and never be curious anymore.
There are many ways to check if someone has read your text. The process may vary according to the messaging apps you use, such as WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, and Message apps on your Android. Here is a closer look at how to know when someone reads your message.
How to Know When Someone Read Your Message on Message App
Most Android phones come with a pre-installed messaging app. Unlike WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger, a typical pre-installed messaging app does not allow you to know if someone read the text. But your app may have this feature so it never goes wrong to try this method.
Make sure you and the recipient are using the same texting app, otherwise this method won’t work. Go through the following steps to turn on read receipt so you will know if the message is read.
- Open the pre-installed messaging app on your Android.
- Tap the menu icon at the right upper corner of your screen. The icon is usually three vertical dots or bars.
- Choose Settings, then select Advanced. At this point, you may find something different. It varies depending on your phone model.
- Next, you will see some options including Delivery reports and Read reports. Turn on the Read report or Read receipt option.
Once again, this method may be unavailable in some models. Some Android phones only provide Delivery Reports. You need to understand that Read Receipt and Delivery Reports are two different things. The least mentioned means the message has been delivered to the recipient but it does not mean the message has been opened and read.
How to Tell If Someone Read Your Text on Android via Facebook Messenger
Messenger is a popular messaging app with millions of users worldwide. This app allows you to open and send chats without opening Facebook. Messenger does not have a feature to turn off read receipt, so users can easily know if the recipient read the message.
The question is, how to know if someone read your text on Messenger? If you are a novice user, do the following steps:
- Open Facebook Messenger. The icon is a white lightning bolt inside a blue bubble chat.
- Tap a user you want to message. Tapping the user will open the conversation.
- Next, type a message and tap the blue paper plane icon to send.
- The message appears on the conversation soon.
- The text comes with a checkmark icon that has a different meaning. A blue checkmark inside a white circle means your message is on its way to the recipient and hasn’t yet been delivered.
- If you see a white checkmark in a blue circle, that means the message has been delivered but not yet opened by the recipient.
- If the checkmark turns into a profile picture, it means the message has been read.
You cannot officially turn off the read receipt on Messenger. But some users may use a third-party app to turn it off. Browser extension may also help to hide the read receipt so you cannot tell if the person who uses this app read your text.
How to Know If Your Message Has Been Read on WhatsApp
WhatsApp comes with a feature that tells you if someone read your text. Much like Messenger, you can take a look at the tick next to the message. The ticks come in different variations with different meanings. Learn how to know if someone read your text on WhatsApp through the following steps:
- Access WhatsApp on your phone. This app comes with a white phone receiver icon inside a green bubble icon.
- Tap the person you want to message, either from conversation or contact.
- Once you open the conversation, type the message, and tap the paper plane icon to send.
- Your message will appear on the conversation.
- Pay attention to the tick. If there is one gray tick, it means the message hasn’t yet been delivered. Double gray ticks means the message has been delivered but not yet opened. When the double ticks turn blue, the recipient has read your text.
Unlike Facebook Messenger which does not provide an official way to turn off the read receipt, WhatsApp allows users to turn it off. Once your friend turns off the read receipt, you will only see two gray ticks. It won’t turn blue even when your friend has read the message.
How to turn off read receipt on WhatsApp? You can disable the read receipt through these steps:
- Open WhatsApp on your Android.
- Tap three vertical dots icons at the right upper corner and choose Settings.
- Select Account, then tap Privacy.
- Find Read Receipt. To turn off, tap on the toggle until it turns gray.
Now that you turn off the read receipt, nobody knows if you have read the messages.
How to Know If Someone Reads Your Message on Viber
Viber is another instant messaging app that comes with a boast of convenient conversation on Android. Much like Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp, it is pretty easy to know if someone has read your message. Go through the following steps:
- Open the Viber app on your Android device. Viber is a purple icon with a phone receiver inside.
- Tap the desired contact to open the conversation.
- Type a message and hit the paper plane icon to send.
- Once your message is sent, it will appear on the conversation.
- Viber has the same signs as WhatsApp, one gray tick, it means the message hasn’t yet been delivered. Double gray ticks mean the message has been delivered but not yet opened. When the double ticks turn blue, the recipient has read your text.
As with WhatsApp, Viber enables you to turn off read receipt. Once it is turned off, your message status will remain Delivered even if the recipient has opened the message. Go to Settings > Privacy > Send seen status to turn off read receipt.
How to tell if someone read your text on Android is easy. The methods vary according to the messaging app that you use. While it is rather hard to know if you are using a pre-installed messaging app, third-party apps such as Messenger and WhatsApp are easier to detect. Just make sure the recipient does not turn off Read Receipt, otherwise, you cannot find out if your text has been read.