There is no doubt that Steam is a user-friendly gaming platform. It has multiple features that automatically update the games, allows its users to access their friend list and share. One of the most loved things from Steam is its store. People can own favorite games by purchasing and diving hours to play it. However, there are still some bugs and issues, such as Steam error code -105.
Steam error code -105 is a common error code that mostly gamer gets. Generally, if you report this case or ask someone, you will be advised to contact Steam’s Customer Support to get the solving. But, actually, there are things you can do before asking for customer service helps. In this article, you will figure out how to resolve this problem. When you have finally overcome the error, it feels like a joy to come back into the game.
Knowing the Error Code -105
Before you try several ways to answer the error, have you really known about this error code? You can understand what Steam error code -105 is by investigating the root cause. Some users investigate this issue by themselves and come up with a set of solutions. Like many people who shared their experience, here, we have summarized the main triggers which occur in this error code.
The fault of the internet connection could be the first reason why you get the 105 error code. Just believe that the frequent problem of online gaming is a bad connection. While your internet is slow or unstable, don’t expect that Steam will be functioning perfectly. This condition results in a drop in communication between your device and the Steam client. That is why Steam shows you this error code.
The other possibilities might come from the DNS settings. Your DNS settings might block some Steam features. DNS works like a phonebook that allows users to connect a website by translating it into an IP address. When your DNS is not configured properly, then that is normal if you can’t connect to the Steam. Perhaps, the DNS configuration has been corrupted or changed while connecting the Steam database.
The last issue that results in Steam error code -105 is the AdBlocker activation. If your device is using Ad-blocking software, it is possible to interfere with the Steam Client. No matter the AdBlocker stands alone or sticks to the browser. We know that AdBlocker helps you to avoid interruption, but sometimes it causes trouble like this. The system blocks you to access the Steam store.
How to Resolve Error -105 on Steam
Based on the discussion above, hopefully, now you understand why Steam error code -105 appears. Don’t be annoyed if you get this situation. Just try the following methods that are usually helpful for some users. So, here are the quick tricks to fix the error:
1. Stabling the Internet Router
The most effective way to solve any problem is by investigating the source. In this case, you need to check the internet connection. Restarting the router sometimes solves the problem then doing “ping”. Therefore, you better restart the router first before trying another method. Take out the plug of the power cord and wait for a couple of minutes. Then, plug the cord back in.
Make sure until you can access the internet. After that, launch Steam just like you used to do and check the issue if it persists. If this works, then your internet connection just needs a refreshment. So, it is able to work again smoothly. On the other hand, if the error is still there, you probably need to change the modem location to get a better signal. Is it still not working? Try to connect the modem using an ethernet cable.
2. Flushing DNS
If you think that an internet connection is not the cause, then it is probably due to the DNS. So, the next method is about how to flush the DNS. Don’t be worried about this thing because we will explain the steps clearly here. See the points below:
- Open the Windows and find the search box. Or, you can also press “Windows” and “R” at the same time on your keyboard. After that, type “cmd” there.
- When you see the “Command Prompt”, right-click, then choose “Run as administrator”.
- Type “ipconfig/flushdns” inside the window. Press enter and wait for the process until it is completed. If your screen shows “Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache”, it means you are done.
- Now try to run your Steam client and check if the problem still exists.
3. Disabling Ad Blocker
One of the causes of Steam error code -105 is the AdBlocker. So, you need to do something about it. Disabling the AdBlocker has been a good solution for many issues, including this error. If you installed the AdBlocker on the browser, then you better see these following actions:
- Open your browser and direct your cursor to the three-dot on the top right corner.
- Click the three-dot and a menu will appear. Find “More tools” and there will be “Extensions” options, click it to open the Chrome extensions.
- The new tab for the extensions will be opened. Now, find your AdBlocker extension and click it to disable.
- Open your Firefox browser and click on the hamburger icon on the top right corner.
- Click the “Add-ons” to open the Add-ons manager.
- You will see the Firefox extensions there, then, choose the AdBlocker. Click on the toggle to make it disable.
4. Uninstall AdBlocker
This one is the last thing you can do to your AdBlocker. If making it disable still doesn’t work, then you must uninstall the AdBlocker. In this step, you must make sure that you completely remove it. Follow the steps below:
- Go to your Windows Settings and click on the “Apps”.
- Inside that menu, you will see all applications installed. Find the AdBlocker you use and click on it.
- Choose “Uninstall” and confirm, then wait for seconds until it is successfully uninstalled.
Or, you can find the AdBlocker application by typing “appwiz.cpl” after pressing the “Windows” and “R” button from your keyboard. After that, the process is the same as we explained above.
Steam error code -105 sometimes can trigger a bad mood when starting playing a game. So, just be calm to keep that spirit. Don’t ruin your happiness just due to this error. Try the tips above one by one because everyone’s root problem could be different from the others.