Putting your Windows 10 to sleep mode helps save battery when you are taking a short break. This mode enables the computer to consume much lower energy but it is always ready for a quick start. Simply press any button and it will wake the computer up. Unfortunately, some users find their Windows 10 won’t wake up from sleep.
This issue can be caused by a wide array of factors, ranging from software to hardware bugs. It may be a little bit difficult to diagnose and specify the cause but that doesn’t mean impossible. Whenever your Windows 10 computer won’t wake up, there are some methods that you can try to fix the issue. Keep scrolling through the solutions below!
What Causes Windows 10 Won’t Wake up from Sleep and How to Fix It
Panic! It must be your first reaction when you find out the computer won’t wake up from sleep. While you don’t know what causes the issue, you have no idea what to do. Worry not! Many users have experienced this problem and they managed to get rid of it. Learn more about the causes and how to fix it below!
1. Sleep settings
Windows 10 sleep mode issue can be caused by the sleep settings. Not many users know that sleep and hibernate are two different modes. When you bring the computer to sleep mode, it can be easily woken up by pressing any button. Meanwhile, hibernation makes the computer go to deeper sleep. Therefore, the power button is the only way to wake it up.
To resolve the problem of Windows 10 that won’t wake up after pressing any keys, try to press the power button and see if it works. Whenever your computer is back to service, you have to check the sleep settings. Make sure the computer does not hibernate before it sleeps.
2. Peripheral issue
When you are using a desktop computer, peripheral issues can be the culprit of the device that won’t wake up. Mouse and keyboard are commonly used to wake up the desktop. If you find the desktop doesn’t wake up after pressing the keyboard or clicking the mouse, you may need to check the peripherals. This can be where the problem begins.
Check if your mouse or keyboard is working properly. Check the connection and make sure if there’s nothing wrong with the cord. If you use Bluetooth mouse or keyboard, check your Windows 10 Bluetooth missing issue. If necessary, you can find another keyboard or mouse and see if the problem persists.
3. Wake up permission
The sleep issue can be caused by wake up permission. You may have set by mistake that the mouse and keyboard don’t have permission to wake up the computer. Or else, the setting can change due to bugs. In this case, you have to change the setting by following these instructions.
- On your Start menu, search for Device Manager and open the program.
- Find the Keyboards option and double-click. You’ll see HID Keyboard Device on the drop-down menu. Right-click and select Properties.
- Click the Power Management tab. Check the box on the option saying that it allows the input device to wake up your computer.
- Select OK.
- Repeat the steps for the mouse.
- Next, scroll down and navigate to the USB option. On HID-compliant mouse, you have to right-click the option. Then, select Properties.
- Click the Power Management tab, then uncheck the box of Allow the computer to turn off the device to save power. Click OK.
- Enable sleep mode and check if it can wake up with keyboard and mouse.
Changing the permission setting works well to resolve the problem. But if it doesn’t work with your computer, you may find other causes and solutions.
4. Re-enable hibernation
Hibernation can cause a sleep mode problem, at the same time, it can help resolve the issue. When you are using hibernation mode, the computer may take a little more time to wake up. But it can work well to fix the issue temporarily. For this reason, you can re-enable hibernation from the command prompt and try it if it works.
- On the Start menu, type Command Prompt and open with admin rights (right-click on it and choose run as administrator).
- Type this command ‘powercfg.exe /hibernate on’, then press Enter.
- Exit from the program.
To check if it works, bring your computer to sleep and try to wake up by pressing the power button. This should overcome the problem. But if it persists, you can continue to another method.
5. Update display drivers
The issue of Windows 10 won’t wake up from sleep can be caused by an outdated display driver. That said, you have to update the driver and see if the solution makes your computer better. Simply follow the instructions below:
- Run Device Manager. Locate Monitors and double click.
- On the drop-down menu, right-click on the name of the monitor. Choose Update driver.
- Updating graphics drivers is also necessary. It can be found on the drop-down menu under Display adapters.
Once the display drivers are updated, enable the sleep mode, and try to wake it up. The sleep mode issue should be resolved.
6. Disable Fast Startup
Your Windows 10 has a Fast Startup feature that allows the device to start faster. However, this feature can cause several issues, one of which is a sleep mode problem. If you suspect the Fast Startup feature causes this issue, you can fix it by following these steps.
- Search Power Options on the search bar. Or, choose the Power Option after right-clicking the battery icon.
- On the left pane, select the option to choose what the power button can do.
- At the top, you will find ‘Change settings that are currently unavailable’ then click.
- You also need to uncheck the box next to Turn on fast startup option.
- Click Save Changes.
After turning off the Fast Startup feature, try to enable sleep mode and wake the computer up. It should be effective to fix the issue.
Again and again, the issue of Windows 10 won’t wake up from sleep can be caused by many factors. Knowing the culprit helps you find the best solution to resolve the problem. Don’t panic! Try several methods above and find one that works great for your computer.
Sometimes a faulty keyboard of your laptop causes windows 10 not to makeup from sleep, I know this is weird this has happened to me once.
Even if we use keyboard troubleshooter of Windows 10 OS from the setting menu of your laptop you won’t find any issue.